Monday, September 3, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass



Source: goodreads.com
    Title: The Selection 

    Author: Kiera Cass 

    Release Date: April 24, 2012

    Source: Public library (thank God!) 

    Rating: 2/5 dresses



I hate to have one of the first reviews I write be so dreadful, but it must be done. I feel that, as a new book blogger, it is now my duty to warn people away from the pretty cover and let them know exactly what's INSIDE that precious blue hardback. Do not allow yourself to be influenced by the gorgeous dress, or the stunning pile of red hair. READING THIS BOOK IS NOT WORTH IT!

Why are you being so cruel? you might ask. What did this book do to you? I'll tell you exactly what this book did. It wasted my time. It turned my brain to mush. But it also entertained me in a way I didn't think would be possible (and also that I'm ashamed of) based on the premise of the book. I really didn't think I would find this book so sickeningly funny.

America Singer (can you guess what she does for her money?) is living in a "dystopian" world called Illea, which is what the combination of the United States and China is called after a massive war. I know, I was a little stupefied by that too. Anyways, America is living in a world of castes, or rankings, and she ranks just three castes higher than the lowest caste, Eight. She's in a forbidden romance with a douchebag, Aspen, who forces her to enter this competition called The Selection. Basically, it's like the Bachelor for royals. So America, poor America, enters and is picked to compete to be Illea's next queen. Surprise!

Except not really. Because every plot twist is expected. The dialogue is so completely fake, and sounds nothing like the way teenagers would speak in any world. The only people mentioned are beautiful with stupid names. Tuesday, Tiny, Maxon, Aspen. It's ridiculous! There were just so many things WRONG with this book, it's difficult to sort out what was RIGHT!

I suppose there was some character building in Maxon's character. Ever so slightly, though. And we got to know America's maids better, I guess. But there really wasn't any sense of hardship, even though there was supposed to be because the book is DYSTOPIAN, after all. America's family is supposedly poor, but they sit around their television eating popcorn after a large meal of chicken with lemon and iced tea. Except everyone only gets one glass of iced tea, because it's hard to come by, even though America sets out a pitcher of the stuff.

If, for some reason, you still feel inclined to read this book, check it out from your library, like I thankfully did. I actually begged Meg to go splits with me so we could buy and read the book, but she refused, because she hates books about royals. So, thanks Meg! I owe you one.

And you, our loyal readers, owe us one for saving you the time, money, and effort it takes to read this book. 

You're Welcome.
-Liz 


No comments:

Post a Comment