Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review: Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

Title/Author: Touching Spirit Bear, Ben Mikaelsen

Publication Date: January 23 2001 (I think)

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

Source: My library

Rating: 5/5 Spirit Bears




I have started this review about five times already, and all my mind does is pull up a blank. How am I suppose to explain this book to you if I don't even understand some of it myself. Everyone who reads Touching Spirit Bear will get some lesson out of it. Whether you actually use this lesson in your life or just understand it, is up to you.

- - -

I feel really calm. I literally finished this book twenty minutes ago, and it feels like life has slowed right down, giving me time to grasp everything I just read. And its hard to believe that I read this, because it feels like I experienced it. It's crazy, and if you can't tell I'm having a hard time concentrating on writing this. My mind is mush, and I will warn you now this review will be all over the place.

But first if you want something official to read, here's the back summary:

Within Cole Matthews lie anger, rage and hate. Cole has been stealing and fighting for years. This time he caught Peter Driscal in the, parking lot and smashed his head against the sidewalk. Now, Peter may have permanent brain damage'and Cole is in the Biggest trouble of his life.
Cole is offered Circle Justice: a system based on Native American traditions that attempts to provide healing for the criminal offender, the victim and the, community. With prison as his only alternative, Cole plays along. He says he wants to repent, but in his heart Cole blames his alcoholic mom his, abusive dad, wimpy Peter — everyone but himself — for his situation.
Cole receives a one-year banishment to a remote Alaskan island. There, he is mauled by Mysterious white bear of Native American legend. Hideously injured, Cole waits for his death. His thoughts shift from from anger to humility. To survive, he must stop blaming others and take responsibility for his life. Rescuers arrive to save Cole's but it is the attack of the Spirit Bear that may save his soul.


Touching Spirit Bear is 241 pages of self discovery. Well Cole's self discovery, that can turn into yours if you let it... Anyways I feel like this book might be underestimated by people. There is not a lot of action, no romance at all, and not that funny; all those things people usually like to see in a book. But to make up for it, Touching Spirit Bear will probably be one of the deepest books you ever freaking read. If you really connect with Cole and his life, you will end up like me at the end of it; mushy brain. Now i found it really easy to connect with him because 1. I'm a teenager. The story is based around a teens life. 2. When i get angry, I really get angry, just like Cole. (I've never beaten someone into the ground though) and 3. Ben Mikaelsen made all of Cole's reasons and how he felt really understandable. Thats something I love in books.

I also love characters that get more character. Does that make sense? I could really see Cole changing how he thought and changing what he did, basically just changing into what he new he needed to become. Even Edwin, the Tlingit Indian became more open. I saw build in all the characters that were usually present, even though they weren't as drastic as Cole's. The plot was original and to me, it just seemed more real then other plots. Feel free to disagree if you want if you have read it.


This is the type of book that I would recommend you read if you have lost sight of the light at the end of the tunnel or it's raining outside and your not going anywheres fast. Take the time to read it, you will be glad that you did.

If its not obvious, I loved this book. It's not a 1/5 up there. It's a 5/5.

Thanks for reading my review. Feel free to let me know if you think I'm crazy or if I deserve a cookie ;)



I love talking to people.
- Meg











No comments:

Post a Comment