Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Review: Between by Jessica Warman


Title/Author: Between, Jessica Warman
Publication date: August 2nd 2011

Publisher: Walker and Company

Source: My library

Rating: 4/5 running shoes


I knew I was going to like this book. I've read one of her other books before and that was what made me want to read this one. I just like that way she writes.

Here's the back description for you guys:

Elizabeth Valchar-pretty, popular, and perfect-wakes up the morning after her eighteenth birthday party on her family's yacht, where she'd been celebrating with her six closest friends. A persistent thumping noise has roused her. When she goes to investigate, what she finds will change everything she thought she knew about her life, her friends, and everything in between. As Liz begins to unravel the circumstances surrounding her birthday night, she will find that no one around her, least of all Liz herself, was perfect-or innocent. Critically acclaimed author Jessica Warman brings readers along on a roller-coaster ride of a mystery, one that is also a heartbreaking character study, a touching romance, and ultimately a hopeful tale of redemption, love, and letting go.

What really made me go wow was how complex her characters were. And she showed it throughout the whole book. They didn't just do one thing, they all had layers that slowly got peeled back as you read. Actually to me, it felt like the main character Elizabeth Valchar was two people. She was a bitch who wasn't trying to be a bitch with problems while she was alive and guilty and compassionate when she was dead. It was an interesting way to go. But I liked it alot. My favourite character, layers and all, was Richie. It amazed me how he loved Liz so much from start to finish and how he wasnt your usual drug dealer. He was a very unusual character and I loved him for it. I kind of wish there was more of him in the book. I also liked Alex. His whole story just made my heart throb with compassion. But in my heart he doesn't compare to Richie aha.

It was slow going when Liz an Alex were just watching people, but those chapters were the ones that allowed you to put together your own conclusion whether it be right or wrong. I've mentioned it before but thats what I love about mystery books (yes I am calling this a mystery book), its no fun when the clues are so obviously pointing to a conclusion. I did have my guess from the very start at who would be the murderer and I was right aha. (Who honestly thought Liz dying was an accident? Come on people, there would be no story if it was an accident) Something felt off about said murdering character and I just didnt trust them.

Any who. I very much liked the irony in the book. And all the plot twists that made it ironic (no one else has to find it ironic aha, that might just be me). There were a few I could see coming, but for the most part I was pleasantly surprised. By the end of the book I wanted to face palm myself because there were so many clues that I didn't get at the time. And then when all was done I sat in stunned silence for a minute because everything was just stunning aha.

The ending made me smile though. It was a great ending for a great book. And im glad I have read it. The whole book was sad but there were happy parts that carried you through. This will be staying in my shelf for a long while.

Anyways I recommend this book to girls that like mystery and suspense and heart break books. If you're looking for action don't come here. Honesty though, this book would be awesome for that rainy day where you don't mind feeling a little depressed but with hope pouring out of your finger tips and giggling when you read the sweet moments (I'm not the only one who gets that feeling right?).

Dont be afraid to email me or Liz (bad grammar... Muahahahaha), we would love to hear from you :)

-Meg :)

No comments:

Post a Comment