Saturday, November 3, 2012

Review: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Title/author: Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli

Publication date: August 8 2000


Publisher: Knopf Books


Source: My library


Rating: 5/5 Enchanted places


Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. 


What to say?


Ok got it.


This book is 186 pages of pure magicallyistisy (magic, just would not have sufficed). I'm having thoughts as bright as the sun, and thoughts that flow like water through fingers. I think what I'm trying to say is, its kind of hard to grasp everything in my mind right now. Honestly I still don't understand everything in this book, and I probably wont until I'm a little older. It would be like I'm walking down the street and BAM! I understand everything. Yeah.


Stargirl, is probably one of the most self-discovering books I have ever read. It's unique in it's own special way. It makes you think about how your living your life. Personally it made me think about the people I dislike (there's not many) and how I wouldn't go out of my way to help them (sad but true, not a lot of people would or maybe I have a poor opinion of the world...). It made me think about how tonight at dinner my mother started to bad mouth a girl who she doesn't even know. I stood up for the girl but it made me realize just how much people actually do that stuff. It's pretty awful. The main character of this book named Stargirl, is who I want to be like. She is caring, compassionate, loving, giving, sympathetic, innocent, unselfish, in touch with herself, and can see more clearly then a person with the best glasses ever could. Who wouldn't want to be like that?


From the school aspect of it, it was perfect. The two main characters, Stargirl and Leo, were complex and so real (even though I didn't like Leo much because of somethings he did and thought in the book. But I understand why he was like that. More people are like Leo then they are Stargirl). As well as all of the other characters were. It was like they were plucked right out of a real high school. The setting fit the book perfectly, like it went through everything the characters went through (you might understand that if you read it... or it might be my slightly crazy mind that makes little sense sometimes). Of course the conflict was deep. Also instead of just being there, there was a reason behind everyone going against Stargirl. And the plot. Swept me away, covered me in discovery, and then sat me on the porch to absorb. (wait what?)


I would recommend this book to everyone. It's one of those books where you can go back and read it again and get a whole deeper message then what you had before. It's also one of those books that could make you smile every chapter, and sometimes you need one of those.


Is this going to sound cliche? Probably. This book inspired me. I want to be a better person, for myself and other people. I want to be able to connect to the world and everyone around me. Enjoy and enjoy some more. Am I going to be nice to everyone every single day? No. I'm a girl, we are angry for no reasons at all sometimes. But I'm going to try and get there anyways. Am I setting myself up for failure? Maybe. But if you don't try how do you know if you can get there or not?


That got a little off topic. I apologize. I hope you enjoyed this review as much as I enjoyed writing it. Which was a lot aha. Don't be afraid to email me. I love talking and meeting new people.


P.S. Am I allowed to dedicate these things? Oh well, I am going to anyways.


This is dedicated to my old babysitter Amy who is so much like Stargirl. I love you forever.


- Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment